Sunday, August 14, 2011

SCBWI Illustrator Intensive: Marla Frazee


Continuing my coverage of the SCBWI Illustrator Intensive at the Summer Conference in LA....

I've been a fan of Marla Frazee (MarlaFrazee.com) for a while, so it was a special thrill to see her at work.


Marla says her process involves gradually building up washes, and she tends to use very small brushes. Sometimes she uses herself as a model, more to feel the pose of a character. Love this idea, and plan to use it in my future projects.


Marla says her initial prep focuses on establishing the character(s) and figuring out what the story flow should be. She spends a lot of time of this before she thinks about starting to paint.


Writers could learn a lot from Marla's approach (as well as illustrators). I'm definitely going to be taking Marla's advice to heart as I work on my own picture books.

More info about Marla Frazee:

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous! I love her work, Debbie..thank you for posting. I'm sure it was amazing to see her in person working on a piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for letting me re-live the FAB intensive

    ReplyDelete