Monday, June 25, 2012

Welcome Andrea Zuill!

Andrea Zuill was a recipient of the SCBWI Mentorship Award at the 2011 Summer Conference. The 2010 founders of Kidlit Artists would like to officially welcome Andrea Z. to the blog, and ask her a few questions about the Mentorship experience and about what she is up to these days.



Kidlit Artists:
Did the feedback you receive during the mentorship critiques either change or confirm the direction of your illustration? Are there any specific examples you can share?

Andrea Z: First I would like to say how impressed I was with the mentors' laser like pinpointing of my trouble areas. I kept thinking, “Why didn’t I notice that?” But they also all assured me that I was on the right track. 

My two biggest problems where creating individual looks for my characters and creating background scenes. My human characters looked like they all came from the same family. And whether I wanted to admit or not, I needed to acknowledge the existence of backgrounds. I was given the assignment to create an illustration of children in a classroom. Each child had to be different and they had to be in a class scene. At first I was a bit scared, but this image became one of the funniest illustrations I’ve ever done. After it was done I felt like I could tackle almost any image I wanted to create.


Kidlit Artists: What kinds of projects are you working on now?

Andrea Z: I just finished illustrating an educational book on telling time. It was incredibly fun to do! I’m currently working on a couple illustrations for a children’s book author. 

 
Kidlit Artists: Is there any type of illustration (or other work) that you’re hoping for in the near future?

Andrea Z: I would absolutely love to illustrate a crazy, funny children’s book! That would be heaven.

  

Kidlit Artists: Last, please tell us where we can find you online.

Thank you Andrea!

1 comment:

  1. Andrea, I LOVE your illustration style. So quirky and fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete