Monday, June 22, 2020

Post Covid Promotion Plan for the Over-planner

by Eddie Edwards


I’ve been thinking a lot about.a post-coved promotion plan; how to get back out there and on the radar of Art Directors and Editors. I will bet that I am not the only one who makes an enormous list of possibilities and then wants to cry because they can’t prioritize and it’s all just too much. There were literally 43 possibilities on my list. And now I’m paralyzed with indecision. 

Spoiler alert, I’m not going to do any of them unless one just pops onto my radar and I feel like it. So here’s what I decided to do instead...

I decided to plan just one thing and do it well. 

Last year I participated in Inktober. Out of that project came two book ideas, prints, a private commission and I became super comfortable with social media. So that seems like enough!

You have the option of participating in the prompts or you can do your own thing. The only real “rule” is to post one inky drawing a day for 31 days in October to social media. And even that is flexible. But to get the most out of the challenge, do at least one every other day. 

Most people stick with black and white, or minimal color. Which will help keep you from spinning out of control with detail and perfection. 

You could make some simple and adorable classic children’s book characters like Amy Hevron.

[More Amy Hevron.}



Or you could make a complex and complete story like Barbara Bernát. 




Check out Barbara Bernát's process on Behánce.


Or pick a subject like bugs! 

Last year I decided to do bugs. I have a love/hate relationship with the little beasts, but they are fun to research and are crazy interesting. I am still undecided about a subject for 2020 but I have a PLAN.



Eddie Edwards
Complete Inktober 2019  series here:
https://helloeddie.com/inktober2019/


The Plan

It was difficult to keep up last year, because I did everything for each one on the day it was due.

Here's my plan for this year.

June
Make a list of possible subjects. This can be ANYTHING or you can follow the prompts. Keep in mind that you probably don’t want to spend more than 2-3 hours/day, so don’t over-burden yourself.

July
Decide the subject and start collecting reference. (You may also need to collect some interesting facts, so you have something to say about the subjects.)

August
Make your list of 31 images and finish your research.

September
Order your supplies (try some new things!) Do a few practice images and experiment with techniques and process. Try to come up with a process that allows you to work quickly and consistently.

October 
Ready, set, go! Schedule the time into your calendar and don’t leave for the day until you have finished one image and posted it. Use the #inktober and #inktober2020.

Don’t beat yourself up if you miss a day — just continue through all 31 images.

See you in October!



Eddie Edwards is an illustrator and a recipient of the SCBWI 2019 Mentorship Award. You can find her at helloeddie.com and on twitter and instagram at @helloeddieillo.














1 comment: