Monday, October 1, 2018

Interview with Chad Hunter, 2018 SCBWI LA Mentorship Award Winner

This interview series introduces the talented recipients of the SCBWI Mentorship Award at the 2018 Summer Conference. Please welcome Chad Hunter to the KidLitArtists Blog!






About: "Chad grew up in the Bay Area and holds a BFA from BYU (Brigham Young University) and an MFA from MU (Marywood University). He creates children book illustrations, designs and hand lettering from his home in Northern California where he loves life with his lovely wife and his son, Cyrus, who's a Senior in High School. My older three daughters are finishing college. Along with illustrating, Chad teaches art and design at CSU Stanislaus."

Did the feedback you received during the mentorship critiques either change or confirm the direction of your illustration? Are there any specific examples you can share?

"The critiques confirmed the direction I was going. The page design, hand lettering and colors were all positives mentioned.

Also, each and every mentor aid to get rid of the red noses! I said, "NO WAY! THE RED NOSES STAY!!" Haha! Not really. It's easy to say goodbye to the rosy beaks."

What kind of projects are you working on now?

"I'm working on a few fun projects right now. I'm expanding images that are based on my current portfolio: Paul Bunyan, Bumblebee, historical non-fiction pieces."

Is there any type of illustration (or other work) that you’re hoping for in the near future?

"Sure! I'm hoping for work that based on the projects I mentioned previously. Paul Bunyan, Bumblebee (which are fun fiction pieces) and some cool historical non-fiction pieces (like Ben Franklin and others coming soon)."

Is there one really helpful piece of advice that you’ve gotten since pursuing illustration? 

"I think the most helpful bit of advice given to me is to create for me. When I approach an illustration with the thought that I am producing an illustration that people will like, I usually produce pieces I'm not happy with (and others aren't either). However, when I make illustrations that I love and insert a lot of me into the piece I am usually happy with the results. Even if the project is assigned, the idea still works."

What was one of your favorite quotes or lessons from the SCBWI Summer Conference?

"Liza Wheeler's creative process was awesome (and I'm already a long-time Tolkien fan, so, loved her references.)

Jerry Pinkney: "It's the daily pursuit."


Lily Malcom: "Create moments of time, drama, cliffhangers."


What were some of your favorite books when you were a kid?

"So I'm half German and was read Heinrich Hoffmann's Struwwelpeter when I was young. Loved it, but yes, very frightening stuff.

I was also read and loved Wilhelm Busch's Max und Moritz.

Thinking about things, this actually explains a lot."



Where can we see more of your artwork? 

Website: www.chadhunterstudio.com
Instagram: @chadhunterstudio

Thanks, Chad! Welcome to KidLitArtists!








No comments:

Post a Comment