Friday, January 3, 2014

Goal Setting! -by Eliza Wheeler

www.wheelerstudio.com
It's the first week of a new year, a time we typically use for making new life goals and resolutions.

I've found goal-making, as an artist, to be especially important. Join me in taking a morning, afternoon, or evening all to yourself for some all-important goal writing time.

Grab a notebook and your favorite pen. I've often heard that goals that have been written down are far more likely to be achieved than those that are not.

Begin by dreaming big!
Spend a few minutes writing down your wildest dreams for yourself (personally or artistically). This should be fun and energizing.

Come down to earth (but stay positive), and get into the nitty-gritty of your hopes and dreams.

Goals should be specific, attainable, and something you can control.


Bad example: I'd like to have a book deal by the end of the year.
Good example: I will complete the revisions on my YA novel and submit it to at least 15 editors by September.
Bad example: I'd like to be signed by an agent this year.
Good example: I will research and make a list of agents, narrow it down to my top 5, and query them by May.


Answer these two questions:

1) Where do I see myself in 5 years? What would I have liked to have accomplished?
2) What would I like to have accomplished in this next year?

Write this year's goals down as a list. Under each goal:

a) Break the goal down into monthly to-do lists
b) Break the months' goals down into one or two easy weekly steps

Last, plan to review your goals at the beginning of each month. Set a calendar reminder for this, or mark the dates in your planner.

Don't beat yourself up about falling behind on goals; just go with the flow of life and revise as you need to along the way!

Wishing you a very happy and fruitful 2014!
~Eliza Wheeler
--
Author/Illustrator of NY Times Bestselling 
book Miss Maple's Seeds
visit www.wheelerstudio.com

No comments:

Post a Comment