|Goal: Be very prepared for #LA14SCBWI|
Goal established. But what defines "very prepared"? I deduce this to five categories.
|Read. Draw. Write. Promote. Connect.|
That's a lot of goals to hit! The good news: Time is on our side.
|Goal = (Baby Steps + Perseverance) / Time|
To hit the baby steps milestones, here's a measurable plan.
• Study stories, characters, pace, layouts. Think about why each book works.
• Goal: 2 picture books a week. In 9 months, that's 72 picture books.
Tips: Classic Picture Books, from GoodReads: http://bit.ly/1incKqO
Tips: Modern Picture Books, from GoodReads: http://bit.ly/1eY93Ip
• Sketch daily. Think about the element of storytelling.
• Goal: 2 portfolio pieces per month. In 9 months, that's 18 pieces. Select 10 to 12 for portfolio.
• Get a cheap spiral notebook and write. Jot down ideas.
• Goal: Write at least 20 minutes per day.
Tips: PiBoldMo is now open! Quick! Challenge yourself: http://bit.ly/H4BY1h
• Goal: Send postcard to publishers every 3 months.
• Use proud illustration created on Goal #2 (DRAW).
• Follow industry news via Twitter. Meet new friends via virtual and actual reality.
Tips: Fellow mentee Debbie Ridpath Ohi has a great Twitter List: http://bit.ly/10KWYjJ
Write this down on a calendar. Track these baby steps and stick with the plan.
|And may the KidLit Force be with you.|