Here are my thoughts on growth as an illustrator (nutshell version).
• Growth happens if you are working consistently.
• Growth doesn’t always look like growth (that big pile of sketches in the trash is growth).
• Expect growing pains (read: rejection).
• Growth comes in spurts. Or at least noticeable growth comes in spurts (book contract!). But you’re always growing, as long as you’re working, even a little.
Three things that are anti-growth:
1. Comparison. Just want to make the distinction between learning from others and comparing yourself to others. Learning = Good. Comparing = Despair
2. Comparing leads to should-ing on yourself. Don't do it... messy.
3. Comparing yourself to others.
Yes, I did list comparison 3 times. It makes you feel bad. I think it makes you feel bad even if you’re on a roll and on top of the world because you are focused outside of your business. Your business is being the wonderful, creative, growing being that you are, whether you are a wee one, a giant one, or somewhere in between.
Keep working, keep growing!